Company History

The first mention of the plant belongs to 1939 when the design of Ust-Kamenogorsk HPP and Ust-Kamenogorsk CHP began at zinc plant. In 1939 the construction of the plant started and it continues till today, that is more than 70 years!

1939 was the year of the preparation of the auxiliary units for the subsequent construction of the plant. The constructions of the brick factory, residential accommodation, construction site of CHP including the concrete plant, sawmill and warehouses began. A temporary power plant with a capacity of 210 kW was built. Then the war broke out and the construction was suspended. It was resumed only in 1942 when the equipment of Electrozink Ordzhonikidze plant was evacuated in Ust-Kamenogorsk.

In early 1946 only 6 people that were directed by Leonid Stavitsky (from 1945 till 1946) worked at the plant and M.S. Staskevich became the first chief engineer. Only L. Stavitsky, M. Staskevich and the chief of the electric workshop A.Ya. Lepilin had the higher education. During the construction the personnel of the plant grew and at the beginning of the first unit commission it numbered to 272 employees.

In 1946 L. Stavitsky, being at that moment at the post of director, was replaced by Ivan Ivashevsky. Ivan Ivashevsky worked in this position until 1951. At the commission of Ust-Kamenogorsk zinc plant the first two blocks of high pressure in 60 atm. for 4 MW were put into operation on September 27, 1947.

Belyaev, Merezhko, Gorshkov, Krasnov, Pankratov, Busygina, Rukavishnikov, Rybalko, Frolov, Vezigina, Kungurtsev - these are not all the names of those who did a lot to establish the station in the early years of its existence.

In December of 1951 the 2nd turn of Ust-Kamenogorsk CHP of 26 MW, based on the English equipment, was put into operation. In 1951 Vadim Verigo was appointed as the station director, he worked in this position for 19 years!

In November of 1952 UK CHP was expanded by 3d turn – 3 boilers of 75 tons/h and two turbines of 12 MW.

Simultaneously with the development of the station capacities also the urban heat networks were built. Their construction enabled to close gradually more than 100 boiler houses. It helped to improve significantly the ecological situation in the city. In 1952-1953 the first boiler house was commissioned and the first pipeline was built in the area of the metallurgists’ settlement that was under construction.

-6
-7
-5
-3
-4
-2

The thermal turbine T-25-29 of 25 MW was commissioned in 1954. The construction of the fourth turn of the plant came to the end in 1959. Another main line of the heat pipeline with 3000 meters length was built along Belinsky Street and Lenin Avenue to the Komendantka River in 1963 and the pipeline was constructed along Leo Tolstoy Boulevard (now it is the beginning of Nezavisimost Avenue) in 1966. The fifth turn of the plant was put into operation from 1963 till 1967.

From 1966 till 1970 the first high-pressure heating blocks T-50-130, T-I00-I30 and P-40-I30 were commissioned at Ust-Kamenogorsk CHP. In the same year Vasily Arkhipov was appointed to the position of the director of the plant. He worked in this position until 1976 and later became the head of the department in the Energy Ministry of the Republic of Kazakhstan.

From 1967 till 1970 the sixth turn of UK CHP was commissioned and the construction of the seventh turn has begun in 1981. It has not been finished ... until now but it of course had its own reasons.

Yuri Margulis became the director in 1976 and he had run the plant for 16 years - until 1992.

UK CHP zone connected through the bridge with the boiler house of the southern industrial area on the Left Bank on November 15, 1985. It was made possible with the single heat pipeline of 600 m.
The operating boiler 14 of 500 tons/h was put into operation in 1991.

Then the well-known perestroika events began in the country. Power engineering was feverish like other sectors of the economy. All these reflected on UK CHP fate: the collapse of the unified energy system, non-payments, debts, difficulties with fuel supplies and other negative factors could not but affect the station work capacity, the construction of the so-required seventh turn. In these difficult years (from 1992 till 1997) the station was headed by Vladimir Kholyavin, who passed previously the eight-year experience in the post of the chief engineer of the plant.

In addition to the "clean production" CHP plant also grew in social structure, it had a wonderful pioneer camp named after Gastello consisted of 30 houses in Ayuda the recreation center, its own health center, canteen, shop, buffet. Employees of the plant during all these years took the most active part in the professional skills competitions, sports competitions, talent shows both inside their staff members and throughout the Altai energy system. Many employees of the station were awarded by the high government awards.

Sergei Tazin became the director of the plant in 1997. These years were difficult for the plant. But as the result of staff members’ well-coordinated work for a fairly short period of time the station underwent major changes that enabled the company to get out of the difficult situation. The station staff was optimized: the support staff radical reduction, leaders’ rearrangement. The main backbone of high-class specialists was retained which allowed the station to operate as reliably as in previous years. In 2000 Sergei Tazin was replaced by Gennady Turanov, who became the eighth director of the plant.

The main investments since 1997 have been directed to the construction of the car dumper, pump station of hot water supply (PSHWS), ash dump No.3, cooling tower and turbine No.12.

The commissioning in 1999 of the car dumper complex allowed to sharply reduce the coal amount on the pile and consequently the costs of the bulldozer operation, fines for cars inactivity and fines for the environment pollution. The natural coal losses on the pile also decreased significantly.

The introduction of pump station of hot water supply improved the hydraulic mode of the heat networks and also made it possible to stop the supply of mineralized water in the network, which for a long time was the weak point of Ust-Kamenogorsk’s heat supply system.

The construction of the new ash dump commissioned with a circulating water supply system in late 2004 has been carried out with account of all state standards for environmental protection and allows protecting the Irtysh River and underground levels from polluting substances. Three storm wastewater treatment plants have also been put into operation. It ensures the purification of drain system. Measures have been taken to collect and purify drains with an area of more than 31 thousand square meters.

-1
-12
-14
-10
-9
-8

The combustion control technology was successfully introduced at all high pressure boilers in the period from 2002 till 2006. As the result specific emissions of nitrogen oxides into the atmosphere reduced by 30 percent, emissions of carbon oxides reduced by 93 percent.

The construction of mechanical cooling tower began in 2009. This project is the first stage of expansion of the capacity of the plant - construction of turbine No.12. Turbine No.12 was put into operation in December 2016.

In April 2017 Ust-Kamenogorsk CHP LLP joined Kazakhstan Utility Systems, the Group of Companies which is represented in 4 of 14 regions of the country – Karaganda region, South Kazakhstan region, East Kazakhstan region and Mangistau Region.

In addition to the introduction of these large-scale facilities a lot of work was done at the plant to improve the territory, to put in order buildings and structures, access roads. Nowadays 559 employees work at the plant.
The main consumers are UK Heat Nets, Kazzinc, UMZ, VK REC JSC and other major industrial facilities of the city. The installed heat capacity is 859,9 Gcal/h, electric capacity is 269.9 MW.

The staff of the station surely looks forward fulfilling the main mission that is uninterruptable supply of heat and electric energy to the regional center of East Kazakhstan. Also there is no doubt that new pages in the station history will be not less worthy than all previous now the seventy-year period.

«Ust-Kamenogorsk CHP» is part of the Group of companies
«Kazakhstan Utility Systems»